Saturday, July 16, 2011

Illamasqua Foundation Review

First of all, I'd like to recognise this as my 100th blog post! I feel it took me a little longer than expected but then again I did lose 3 months worth of posting due to the great internet famine of 2010.

Anyway getting on to this evening's post regarding my recent purchase of Illamasqua's Rich Liquid foundation in their second lightest shade RF 105; white with pink undertones. I'd state firstly that this colour was probably a little too pale, even for me. I generally don't go geisha-white, rather attempt to look as naturally porcelain as I can (I have no idea if I actually achieve this, but it's what I strive for! :P) without looking..well, dead.




I have to admit, I'm quite disappointed with this product so far in my trials. As we all know however, it takes a while to fully test out a foundation. Several aspects have to be taken into account; whether it suits your skin type, if it's the right colour, if you applied the correct amount, the best method of application, does it react with your skin to cause breakouts, the product's endurance under varying conditions...I could go on (but I won't :P).


So before my critique, here's what Illamasqua have to say about their foundation:


" Lock away your inhibitions and bring your confidence to the fore. Loved by professional make-up artists, Illamasqua Rich Liquid Foundation provides maximum, long-lasting coverage without feeling or looking heavy. It blends easily and hides problem areas perfectly. Create your canvas, then paint your work of art. "


Hmm, well I'm sorry Illamasqua but there's several points there I have to disagree with; although it being 'Rich' is NOT one of them.

In fact, this foundation is so rich, I think it's a bit of a stretch calling it a liquid. I've never tried a cream foundation, so I can't exactly compare it to that kind of consistency but something about it isn't quite right. Once this product hits your skin it's more like spreading toothpaste on your face, for want of a better description. It is this charateristic that to me would suggest that it might not be as blendable as Illamasqua claims, and that's the reality I'm afraid. The only way I managed to get an even coverage of my face was to mix it 50/50 with my MAC studio sculpt NW15.

The shade that this mixture made I must say, I adore. Despite the hype I've heard about studio sculpt I just never really gave it a chance, becoming immediantly disappointed by the colour (their lightest with pink undertones) ..see it was, well...TOO DARK! (Get with the goth-programme, MAC!) Anyway, I'm not hear to talk about studio sculpt today, so back to it. This look my work mate told me looked very natural, despite it being amazingly pale and I believe with my lack of eye makeup and liberal use of powder blusher gave me a rococo look. This went very well I believe with the hairstyle I chose for the day, that being a pompadour quiff (yeah I know, I'm obsessed...)

However nice this may have appeared from afar, up close my skin was a disaster. The foundation exacerbated small dry patches I had from healing breakouts, and caked on around my nose where I wasn't aware of ever having a dryness problem. Thinking that this was just because I may have no of moisturised enough, I washed my face, applied moisturiser and primer beforehand and tried again. To no avail unfortunately.

Despite being unhappy with the look of my skin, I toddled off to work. Later that day, I looked in the bathroom mirror to find a new surprise from the foundation. Although my nose cakey-dryness had remained on the sides of my nostrils, the remainder of the feature was like a disco ball (in relation to shininess I mean). And before you as, yes I set it with powder; so that wasn't the issue.

So yes Illamasqua, although your foundation was indeed long-lasting, it created more problem areas than it hid.


Despite what I've found so far experimenting with this product, I'm determined to give it another try. After all, a company that promotes S.O.P.H.I.E is definitely one I want to buy from. In the event that my skin is in fact ridiculously dry and I only just discovered it, I have begun a skin care regime in accordance with the Clinique 2 Week 3-Step Challenge (I think this is an Aussie only one guys, sorry!) in hopes it will make a difference. In any case, I will be sure to keep you updated.





That was my first ever really in-depth review, so I'd really like some feedback be it good or bad (as long as it's polite!) guys if you don't mind! :D

Over and Out


The Green Fairy

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment