Saturday, July 2, 2011

Interview With a Goth - Catacombxkitten

Today's victim is Saskia of The Graveyard Picnic!




Photo by Inge Houwen





Name? Saskia


Goth alias? I use the username CatacombKitten or CatacombxKitten, so I suppose that's my alias.


Age? 20


Relationship status? In a relationship


Where are you hailing from? I was born in Antwerp, Belgium, but now I live in a tiny stupid little town. During the school year I'm in Leuven, though.


What is your favourite band, song and movie? My favourite band... Voltaire, I suppose. Last year I travelled all the way to Oslo, Norway with two friends to see him. This year I'm going to see him in London. Other favourites are Emilie Autumn, London After Midnight, IAMX and Abney Park.


I change my mind about favourite songs all the time, but a couple of my favourites are Protège moi by Placebo, Sleepwalker by Adam Lambert, Graveyard Picnic by Voltaire (hence my blog's title), Airship Pirate by Abney Park and 306 by Emilie Autumn.
Favourite movie would be either the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Bram Stoker's Dracula or Labyrinth. I really enjoyed Sucker Punch too, but I've only seen it once so far, so I'm not sure yet.


Favourite author and book? I love anything that's written by Oscar Wilde or Jane Austen. Other than their works, I like Lord of the Rings (Tolkien), Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden), The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls (Emilie Autumn), the Southern Vampire Mysteries (Charlaine Harris) and I'm a Harry Potter nerd. There's so many more I could mention here, I read way too much.


If you were only allowed to use one cosmetic for the rest of your life what would it be? Hard one. Either black liquid eyeliner or black mascara.


List 3 things we’d find in your handbag/backpack if we opened it now My camera, a paper notebook, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.


Are there any things you never leave the house without? Nothing interesting, my wallet and my cell phone, probably. Sometimes I even leave those at home, when I'm taking the dog for a walk for instance.


Favourite season? Every season has its charms.


In your opinion what colour looks best on you? Black, obviously. I also really like purple.


What subgenre of goth do you think you fit into/ have you created your own? I mix and match a lot. One day I feel like wearing something very fancy with lots of petticoats, the other I wear ripped fishnets and studded belts. I'm a goth with influences from Victorian clothing, EGL, steampunk, pin-up, vampires, pirates, fairytales and anything I see that I think is pretty.


Where would we find you on a Saturday evening? Nowadays, I'm usually at home, either studying, reading, watching a movie/series. I do like to go out, but I don't do that very often. I'm more likely to do something with friends, like playing board games or watching movies.


Discovered any good goth-related websites lately and care to share them? Not really, but I'm completely addicted to Tumblr right now. You can find so many pretty things there.


Anything in particular you’re into at the mo’? DIY'ing. I never really dared to try making stuff on my own, 'cause I'm very clumsy, but my first tries haven't turned out too bad. Sewing doesn't go too well, though, since I have to do everything by hand.


Best live band performance you’ve seen? Either Voltaire or Emilie Autumn. Voltaire knows how to entertain a crowd and while Emilie Autumn's show is simply unique.


Like to share an interesting fact about yourself? I've practised karate ever since I was six years old, I've got a brown belt now and hope to do my exam for black belt in March 2012.


Favourite piece of clothing you own? Right now, my very first EGL skirt from Dracula clothing. It's so poofy! I also love my Spin Doctor blouse with ruffles.


Favourite accessory? I don't wear a lot of jewellery, but I do really like cameos and chokers. Right now I have an obsession with fascinators, I'm making one myself.


Any bodymods? I used to have a belly button piercing, a helix and a nose piercing, but the nose piercing I took out; the helix fell out and I couldn't get to the shop to get a new one, so it closed up. I've still got the one in my belly button, though.


Biggest pet peeve about the goth scene? It's not always the case, but on many occasions people who don't have enough money to be dressed to the nines are looked down upon. Students don't have as much money and I always love to see outfits that have been put together with little money, simply because they take a much larger effort and are often much more original. I can't stand the arrogance of some older goths towards younger ones, simply because they can't afford expensive outfits.


If you had the chance to meet any one in human history who would it be? Oscar Wilde. Everything I've read and learned about him is amazing and I'm sure that being able to talk to him for a few hours would be very inspirational.


Any parting comments? To anyone who is new in the goth scene: don't be too scared about whether something might or might not be goth. Every goth has a few things he or she's crazy about that don't have anything to do with goth.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Saskia for an interesting peak inside your thoughts!

As always if you would like to participate in 'Interview With a Goth' or know someone who might, please comment below or drop me a line at sydneysomething@hotmail.com



The Green Fairy

xx

4 comments: